Teens looking for an inexpensive way to get a high-fashion dress or tuxedo to wear to their prom should sign up now so they can check out the offerings in person from Operation Prom this week.
In its ninth year, Operation Prom has helped thousands of area teens by collecting and distributing gently used (and sometimes unused) dresses, as well as arranging for free tuxedo rentals.
"Operation Prom is a great program," said County Executive Robert P. Astorino. "Westchester County is pleased to continue to cosponsor this program through our Department of Social Services."
The county helps publicize events, provides storage space for the gowns and allows the free use of the County Center for a dress giveaway.
Noel D'Allacco, the founder of the program, said, "Operation Prom has given out 4,100 dresses and hundreds of tuxedos since its inception. This year the first step in the process is digital. Teens who may be interested in our help should fill out an application as soon as possible."
Operation Prom is geared to helping teens from low-income households and those who live in shelters or group homes attend their prom at little or no cost. The Department of Social Services plays a vital role by connecting young women and men in their care with Operation Prom so that girls can pick out a dress at one of the giveaways and boys can receive a free tuxedo rental from Men's Wear House.
"Going to prom is an American rite of passage signifying the next step in life for young people entering adulthood. Noel has made it possible for teens to participate in prom,"said Social Services Commissioner Kevin McGuire.
2013 Dress Giveaway
Students must complete the application form to attend.
- Tuesday, March 26, 10 a.m. - 3 p.m.: The Westchester County Center, 198 Central Ave., White Plains
- Wednesday, March 27, 10 a.m. - 3 p.m.: The College of New Rochelle, 29 Castle Place, New Rochelle
- Thursday, March 28 and Friday, March 29, 10 a.m. - 3 p.m.: Yonkers Riverfront Library, 1 Larkin Plaza, Yonkers
- Friday, Apr. 19, 10 a.m. - 3 p.m., Peekskill DSS District Office, 750 Washington St., Peekskill
Men's Ware House Locations:
Students must complete the application form to know what location to visit and when to go for a fitting. There are a limited number of tuxedos available.
- White Plains, 360 Tarrytown Road
- Scarsdale, 731 Central Park Ave.