OFFICE OF THE CE
All Press Releases
County Executive Robert P. Astorino announced Friday that the Disaster Recovery Center established by Westchester County and FEMA at the County Center in White Plains will be operating on a reduced schedule several days next week.
The recovery center has been open daily from 8 a.m. to 8 p.m.
Astorino reminded residents that they can apply for FEMA aid without coming to the County Center, however, FEMA representatives are there to help residents in person with the process. FEMA strongly advises that people register online in advance of visiting the disaster center.
Beginning Monday, Nov. 19, the center's hours will change due to scheduled events at the County Center as well as the Thanksgiving holiday.
The schedule for Nov. 19 - 23 is as follows:
- Monday, Nov. 19: 8 a.m. to 4 p.m.
- Tuesday, Nov. 20: 8 a.m. to 2 p.m.
- Wednesday, Nov. 21: 8 a.m. to 8 p.m.
- Thursday, Nov. 22 - closed for Thanksgiving
- Friday, Nov. 23: 8 a.m. to 8 p.m.
The center opened Nov. 8 as a multi-purpose Hurricane Sandy relief center for residents and businesses to obtain information about FEMA disaster assistance and other aid available to victims of the storm. The center remains staffed with representatives from FEMA, Con Edison, the Small Business Administration, several county government departments and a variety of social services agencies.
Astorino said hundreds of people have visited the center since it opened.
"The center will remain open indefinitely until we are sure that everyone who needs help has received it," Astorino said.
With Westchester being declared a disaster area by President Obama, residents are eligible to apply for disaster aid, along with local governments and nonprofit agencies. The first step is to register either by calling FEMA's registration number (800) 621-3362; or visiting www.disasterassistance.gov. For those with speech or hearing disabilities, use the TTY number at (800) 462-7585.
The County Center is located at 198 Central Avenue in White Plains, adjacent to the Bronx River Parkway.
In recognition of the devastating nature of the recent storm, the Disaster Supplemental Nutrition Assistance Program (D-SNAP) enables people who normally would not receive SNAP benefits, formerly known as Food Stamps, to receive this assistance.
Residents who are in need of emergency food stamps may apply for that assistance at the recovery center or at branch offices of the Department of Social Services as follows:
- Yonkers - Westchester County Department of Social Services (WCDSS) Yonkers District Office, 131 Warburton Avenue: Open 8:30 a.m. to 5 p.m. on each of the following dates: Nov. 17, Nov. 18, Nov. 19, Nov. 20 and Nov. 21.
- Mount Vernon - WCDSS Mount Vernon District Office, 100 E. First St.: Open 8:30 a.m. to 5 p.m. on each of the following dates: Nov. 19, Nov. 20 and Nov. 21.
- White Plains - WCDSS White Plains District Office, 85 Court St.: Open 8:30 a.m. to 5 p.m. on Nov. 17, Nov. 18 and Nov. 21 and 23; open 8:30 a.m. to 8 p.m. Nov. 19 and 20.
- Peekskill - WCDSS Peekskill District Office, 750 Washington St.: Open 8:30 a.m. to 5 p.m. on each of the following dates: Nov. 19, Nov. 20 and Nov. 21.
No applications will be taken at any of the designated sites on Thanksgiving Day, Nov. 22.